Julian Renlong Wong: 5 x 2hr sessions in Somatic Dance leading to a short performance at our final event.
Monday 9th – Friday 13th December, 2019
Venues and times for each day below
These workshops are free for young people aged 16 – 30
Somatic dance refers more specifically to techniques whose primary focus is the dancer’s personal, physical experience, rather than the audience’s visual one. Julian Renlong Wong is providing five sessions on somatic dance which will culminate in a performance on Friday 13 Dec.
- Monday the 9th to Wednesday the 11th @ 6:30 – 8:30 pm at Blackheath Presbyterian Church, 123-125 Wentworth Street, Blackheath
- Thursday the 12th @ 6:30 – 8:30 pm at Junction 142, 142 Katoomba Street, Katoomba
- Friday the 13th @ 4:00 – 6:00 pm at Junction 142, 142 Katoomba Street, Katoomba
About your teacher:
Julian Renlong Wong is a multi-disciplinary artist, teacher and businessman based in Sydney. He has a background in martial arts, contemporary dance, both Chinese and European music, physical theatre, circus, and Feldenkrais. He also draws upon his work in hospitality and permaculture, creating artistic works that explore somatic experience, cultural heritage and societal structures. Australian born and raised, his family is from China’s south-eastern Zhejiang Province. Growing up in a musical family, Julian played cello, piano, and sang in choirs. He later studied traditional Chinese flutes and tarhu. Recent project contributions include New Zealand Opera’s “The Bone Feeder” (Chinese flutes and dance), Anna Yen’s Slow Boat, Rhiannon Newton’s Bodied Assemblies, and The Koski Project.
To earn a Somatic Dance Badge you will need to:
- Attend the Artist Forum on Performance and Space Activation
- Participate in a week of Somatic Dance Workshops
- Perform in the end-of-year event
Click here to download our full August – December program in chronological order.
These sessions have been made possible thanks to funding from Blue Mountains City Council’s City of the Arts Trust.
To stay updated with our regularly changing program, sign up for our email newsletter below: