As more people have to struggle with the impacts of climate change and geopolitical disruption, there is much to be done as those of us who can, rise to meet the challenges of restoring planetary health. We need to be able to carry, and do, more.
To counter the effects of ageing, so that I can keep doing what needs to be done for as long as possible, my action for today was to start weight-bearing exercises.
Research has shown that “done regularly (e.g., 2 to 3 days per week), [weight-bearing] exercises build muscle strength and muscle mass and preserve bone density, independence, and vitality with age. In addition, strength training also has the ability to reduce the risk of osteoporosis and the signs and symptoms of numerous chronic diseases such as heart disease, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes, while also improving sleep and reducing depression.” It’s clearly a no-brainer!
So, today, I upcycled a peanut oil container with a fabulous handle, filled it with water and added the motivation of Rosie the Riveter, to inspire me to lift weights in order to strengthen my body, and my resolve to act, every single day. It’s a new addition to our dinner table so that I do a few lifts after every meal.
There are gardens to be built, trees to be planted and weeds to be pulled … not to mention delicious meals to be cooked!
How are other people contributing to A Year in a Day?
In response to our post on Australia’s first national battery recycling scheme, Cormac and Antonia likewise checked through all their batteries, made sure all their torches had good batteries in them, and took the rest to Woolies at Katoomba.
Libby’s action yesterday was to take her 91 year old mum to her local IGA. As she placed her pieces of fruit in the trolley her mum asked why Libby didn’t put them in the plastic bags (Libby had forgotten her net bags)
Libby explained and demonstrated how easy it was – put them in little groups at the checkout and then the checkout person just weighed them and put them in the shopping bags Libby provided.
It then opened up a conversation on planetary health and all the plastic that is in the oceans. Libby’s mum then talked about how good we all were years ago when we used big paper bags and things were wrapped in newspaper etc and nothing was ever wasted.
Libby’s mum was content with how their simple process worked and Libby doesn’t think she will use those plastic bags again- Libby’s said she must give her mum her net bags to have in her handbag
In response to our post about unravelling jumpers and reusing the wool, Claire responded that she had left her husband’s holey jumper in a skip not wanting to throw it out, but now she knows what to do with it – rescue on the way.
Carla listened to, and shared, this podcast from the Festival of Dangerous Ideas about the need to find new stories (https://open.spotify.com/episode/6QYRovAgv6fYkpr1OpwFKT)
She also shared that she cut up some old jumpers and machine-sewed them into a woolly patchwork quilt. It’s heavy and warm for winter and has lots of memories in it
Demonstrating an adaptation hack in response to all the rain which made his chicken coop a mud bath, Ian strapped pieces of wood to his shoes to create ‘mud shoes’ to be able to continue accessing their run to look after them.
It’s so inspiring to hear what other people are doing, and we’re gearing up to see if we can actually reach 365 actions in one day for World Health Day on Thursday 7 April. If you haven’t contributed an action yet, why not consider joining us for a WORLD FIRST on the 7th (if not sooner)?
Is it worth taking action?
Research by academics at Leeds University, engineering firm Arup and the C40 Cities climate group has identified that 73 per cent of all changes needed by 2030 to keep the world on course to meet the Paris agreement targets need to be made by governments and industry. But private citizens have considerable influence over the remaining 27 per cent.
Join #AYearInADay Citizen Science Project to see if we can all inspire one another to do more to restore planetary health
We’d love you to collaborate with us and share any actions you take to restore planetary health in the comments below or on our social media. While we welcome you to share ANY ACTION you take to inspire others, we’ll be recording NEW or EXTRA actions that people take as part of our tally, because we’re trying to inspire one another to do more than we’re already doing. Feel free to copy some of the actions our participants have been sharing – the action only needs to be NEW for you. Let us know if other people are influenced by your posts, or ours, so that we can measure outcomes of this project. To leave a comment on this blog you’ll need to enter your name and email address.
Our first step is to record 365 new actions. Our second step will be to aim for 365 new actions in one single day. Imagine if we could do it every day of the year! You can subscribe to receive a daily action from us here